5.07.2012

It's been almost seven months since Andrew and Benjamin, and I don't say much about it these days because I feel like a crazy lady going on and on about something I cannot change.

Oh, how I still wish I could change this. Every single day.

There are good days and there are bad days, and more and more, I find myself surprised when grief's waves hit the shore because, from the outside looking in, we are back to normal. We work and play and serve and laugh. We live. But grief's waves still pound away, taking me by surprise with the intensity and pain of it all. There are no words for the heartbreak and pain of it all.

Disclaimer: It's not you, it's me. If you have a penchant for indignation, please stop reading now.

Since we lost the boys, 22 of my friends, family and neighbors have had babies. Four of them have had twins, and 10 more are currently expecting. I am not exaggerating when I say that I have never in my life been more surrounded by pregnancy and babies and, yes, twins. It's everywhere. Except here.

(And again, I remind you that this is all about me. I am truly happy for all you baby-making ladies and your growing families.)

Lately, I've noticed a building bitterness that I am fighting to hold back. From the outside looking in, things are working out for everyone else but me. (Of course, from the outside looking in, I am back to normal.) So while friends are quick to justify my feelings of anger at a life I never thought would be mine, I just can't sit by and watch the rest of the good fall away in the landslide that is losing two beautiful little boys. And in the quiet sleepless hours spent trying to figure out how to stave off this ruined life, I keep coming back to this: I didn't get a choice when I lost my little boys, but I do get a say in how the fallout impacts the rest of my life. I think? I hope.

And so. And so...

I am doing my best to take stock in the good. To not only count my blessings, but to enjoy them. To live in them and with them and to be grateful for them even though I am shocked and mad and heartbroken about the two little blessings that I still wish were mine.

When Nora was born, I had an amazing nurse who, while trying to get me through a drug-free delivery, scrawled a note on a paper towel, taped it to the side of a tissue box, and placed it on the table in front of me. It read,

"You can do hard things."

Ever since, every time I have been face-to-face with the harder stuff of life, I have thought of that note on a paper towel and tried to weather the storm. I can do hard things.

Unfortunately, every time I overcome something hard, it seems something more challenging still lies in its wake... You will be sick and exhausted and terrified throughout the better portion of your high risk twin pregnancy. All the while, your husband will be out of town for work, but you will make it through the temporary single motherhood with daydreams of a life with four little people—a beautifully instant family of six. You will then lose the boys who had filled all those daydreams. Not only will you lose two (TWO!) babies, but you will then struggle to get pregnant again while, literally, surrounded by the glow of pregnancy and new motherhood. You will come face-to-face on a daily basis with the one thing that will turn you green with envy, and you will retain the presence of mind amid your grief to feel guilty for the bitterness that creeps in when you stare through the window at a life you will daily wish was yours.

Sounds fun, right? But here's the thing: there is good too, and it's not always hard. And I will not sit by and wish the good stuff away while I bemoan the bad.

And so....

I am determined to end the last few months of what will likely go down as the worst year of my life with more hope and gratitude than I have yet allowed myself to find. Because I have a good marriage and two beautiful kids (four, actually) and amazing friends and a loving family and a strong body and a fun job and talent and passion and the presence of mind to know that those things count too.

And because a successful goal comes with concrete objectives, I am breaking the remaining months of now until October 12 into days. I will daily find gratitude in this life that I all too often of late wish was not mine. And because a successful goal also has some level of accountability, I will do my best to share bits of those blessings with all of you. So please hold me to it. That said, I am not a robot, and I have no doubt that there will be bad too, so please hold tight when the waves hit shore, and I will try to remember to as well. Consider this my 159-day testimony of trial. It wont always come easy, of that I am sure. But there is goodness and beauty in this almost ruined life. And I want to do my best to give that as much weight as the heartbreak.


So here goes, day one of the remaining half of the worst year of my life...

I am grateful that I can do hard things. I certainly don't like it, but at least I know I can do it.


2 comments:

Clifton and Melinda said...

Jen, first off I just want to say that I love you. You are an amazing woman and an equally amazing example to everyone around you...even though I know at times you feel the exact opposite. Like I have told you before I don't even pretend to understand everything that you are going through, however I admire your strength in this trial that I know seems completely unbearable. I love you and think about you often.

Steve said...

What an inspiration you are to me. Your drive and determination to press on, and through, regardless of the pain, the frustration, and the broken heart. Your desire to find and celebrate the good, to recognize that there is reason to hope and to practice faith even when faith seems elusive. Yes, of course we can do hard things, but only if we really, really want to. And you are an inspiration not only in the doing, but as to how we can and why we must, for ourselves, and for those we love so dearly. I love you!