After that last post, I keep thinking that there is more to say.
As emails and texts and neighbors pop in to check on me, I keep thinking that there is more I should say—to assure everyone that I am fine, that we are fine. (For the record, we are doing good and are fine, thanks for asking.)
As I sit with myself and try to assess this crazy heart-ruled brain of mine, I keep thinking that there should be more to say, but the truth is, nothing has changed and we are fine. So what else is there to say?
How do you talk about something that is just as it has always been? It's a weird spot to be in—wholly but unnoticeably changed, with nothing tangible as testament to two years of living.
Nothing changes. Now two years into this third baby business, we are still just the four original Burts who comfortably fit in the Honda Accord I got in college and have no need for the plans we've commissioned to turn the guest room into a bedroom and third bathroom. I set the baby toys aside in a bin in the guest room rather than lugging them back into the attic because I was sure we would need them soon, but that was two years ago. I have spent the last two years preparing for something that has never happened, and unless you crawled into my head, you would have no way of knowing all the hopes and dreams and planning and preparation and changing that has taken place to end up exactly where we started.
When I was at the doctor's office, already crying because I knew the ultrasound was just a formality, the nurse asked, "This is your fourth pregnancy, right?" I first said, "No, it's my third—" because I was counting the two other kids I'd kissed goodbye on my way out the door, but then I interrupted myself to say "I mean fifth—" because I was counting the number of babies I've actually conceived. For a moment, I had no idea how to answer that question, and I was shocked at the realization that I had just completed my fourth pregnancy. Andy and I are both from families of four kids, and I always thought we would have four kids too. It's a bit surreal to realize that I am there in number of pregnancies but still only half way there if you're counting the number of kids I sing to sleep each night.
I don't know if there are words to explain it—this middle place of looking back and moving forward and waiting all at once. Other than this: It's a fine place to be, this middle place. It's like lukewarm water or an unscheduled weekend. We don't do anything. We're just here. Talking about what we could do, what we should do, all the while, sitting and waiting for something to happen. We wait and plan with no real concept of what our future holds and thus, no real conviction for anything we talk about putting into action.
But I am a doer, a fixer. I like to check things off lists and start fresh each day. And I keep wondering lately if I'm doing something wrong as I wait and plan and wait for the need for these carefully laid plans. If nothing else, it seems I am supposed to be learning patience from all of this. But at this point, shouldn't there be more?
3 comments:
Should there be more? I can't tell you how many times I have asked myself that over the years, and wondered why and when it will happen. WILL there be more? Yes. There's always more, and it comes at times when you least expect it.
My heart just breaks for you, and I know that nothing that I can say to you isn't anything that you haven't heard already, or will even help. I just wish there something out there (pill, magic wand, lamp) that we could use to make the plans that we have in our heads actually work out.
I thought of you last week actually. You popped in my head, and I thought about messaging you, but remembered that you may be on your trip, and then wondered if I was thinking of you because of that. Now I know why.
I know you say you're fine, as fine as you can be given the circumstances I guess, but is there anything that I can do for you? Nicole and I were talking about getting the group together in two weeks to go to dinner or something (movie, Shakespeare)? But I'd love to buy you dinner when we do go.
If you ever need to chat, vent, cry, ANYTHING, I am here. I'm thinking of you and praying for you and your cute family. Love you girl!
Of course there should be more! And there will be more. Some day the universe is going to thrust upon you that 'more'. You are going to be saying... whoa, that's enough already! It may not be in the form you expect it to be. Look for it in unexpected places & opportunities. More is a very vague thing.
You are a do-er. You are a planner. You are an organizer. Unfortunately, some things (like more) you can't control or predict or make fit into your plan. We both know who's in charge & it's definitely not us! If we were I would have a little lady with fine blonde curls that loves the color pink. You are Mom of the year, wife of the year, employee of the year, friend & neighbor & daughter & cousin & sister of the year also. Now strap on your big girl panties & be YOU like only you can. Loves...
Although our lives are progressing in different directions, I couldn't be happier, and more comforted, to simply hear what you have to say. It makes me unspeakably happy to read your thoughts - to feel the incredible warmth and openness that you bring both to this blog and to your life and the lives of the people around you.
One thing is true: It seems you've never had troubles just being you. And you've certainly worn the many hats of Jen - wife, mother, friend... - with clarity and grace.
I know there's nothing I can say to truly comfort you, but I wanted you to know that I'm here, reading and thinking and sympathizing and laughing and crying and feeling, for as long as you want to keep sharing.
Post a Comment