6.18.2012

Here Again

For a few weeks, there was joy unlike anything I have felt since that heartbreaking afternoon in October when I lay quietly, listening enviously to the pouding heartbeat amplified on a fetal monitor of another mother's baby across the hall while my own two little boys sat still and lifeless on the ultrasound screen in front of my face.

For a few moments, there was hope and possibility and a heart bursting rather than breaking, only to come crashing down with another silent ultrasound. A miscarriage that began, ironically, eight months to the day—the 12th—of our last heartbreak.

Miscarriage. Stillborn. How did these words become part of my otherwise normal life?

I had no idea how far away from hope I had traveled until it came rushing back in with those stupid double pink lines that dared me to dream of a happy ending. A 3-pack of pregnancy tests that I thought held the promise of something so, so good—something that would firmly plant my footing in the future rather than the past.

Eight months to the day, and after all that—eight months of grieving and moving on and praying and healing and really trying to make something good out of something that felt like it would crush me—I am right back where I started.

Here again: trying to make something good of heartbreak.

9 comments:

M2 (Melissa) said...

Oh Jen - I am so sorry! My heartbreaks for you and Andy. Remember you are in my prayers!

Maxmomma said...

Oh Jen, I am so, so sorry. I feel like a fool, but I don't know what else to say, Just that my heart aches with yours and I will sincerely have you in my prayers.

Hollie said...

Jen, I'm sick for you. I think of you often wishing and praying that you get the one thing you hope so much for. I am so sorry. I admire your strength. Life is so unfair sometimes. More prayers coming your way! Call if you ever want to talk.

Kristy said...

Jen - I'm so sorry :( Love you. Will pray for you, and maybe bring you cookies if I can remember to make them later this week...

Layne & Crystal said...

Jen,
I am so, so sorry for your loss & heartache. Miscarriage is an awful thing that no one should have to endure. You are in our thoughts & prayers.

Candi and Skeet said...

Jen, I am so sorry!! It just seems so unfair sometimes! After we lost Avery our last two IVF attempts ended in early miscarriage and it was devestating! I know there is nothing I, or anyone can say that will heal your heart. Just know I will be thinking of and praying for you. Please let me know if you need to talk! Love ya!

Lj82 said...

I'm so sorry. :(

Brianne & Jarod said...

Jen,

I have no idea what to say to you...this is so difficult and something I truly can not empathize with you, but I do sympathize with you and care a great deal to see such a wonderful person deal with so much heartache. Bless you and your little family, and you will continue to be in my thoughts and prayers!

Unknown said...

My darling Jen and Andy. Your mom sent me a message telling me of your latest heartbreak. It seem Our Heavenly Father knows of your great faith, courage, and strength thus allowing you to go through these particular trials. Only He know why. But I do know that all will be made well in due time, His time. Your wonderful family is always in our prayers. We miss you and love you very much. Gma