11.21.2011

Finding Happy

Though I have no idea how this works when we get to big picture issues, it seems our life has begun to march on, with tender reminders that we are blessed even if the last six weeks has often left me feeling otherwise.

Porter is losing all his teeth, thanks to his daddy's genetics that have given him two huge front teeth that amazed even the dentist. Said the dentist to his assistant after looking over the x-rays: "Have you seen these things!?" Said the dentist to me: "Do you have any friends in orthodontia?"

There are no words for the gratitude I feel when I think of my toothless boy who is growing up all too quickly. He is funny and sweet. So, so sweet. And he daily reminds me to let happiness in.


























We had a Yes Day last week because I was tired of sitting in my sadness and decided, instead, to try to manufacture happy. So we ditched work and school, and I told the kids we could do whatever they wanted all day long. I've been a bit apathetic since we lost the twins — nothing feels right. So I left the decision-making up to the little people, and it turned out better than I could have ever imagined.

The first decision of the day: breakfast, and they kicked things off with leftover Booberry Crunch and Fruity Cheerios (we only do sugar cereal on weekends in the Burt home, so this was a treat). But the cereal sat untouched and soggy once Porter realized "yes day" really did mean no rules.



Swimming was a unanimous second once the milk bubbles were cleaned up. We had the entire aquatic center to ourselves and stayed until missed lunch hunger pains turned to tears.

After a late peanut butter and honey lunch (Porter asked to be in charge of the honey), complete with chocolate milk and cheetos, Porter and I spent the afternoon coloring and playing Legos while Nora napped (naptime is non-negotiable even on Yes Day).

And even before she had climbed out of her bed after waking up, my girlie knew what she wanted to do next...

We've been fighting over that tube of lipstick ever since. Turns out, in her eyes, anything acquired on Yes Day is rightfully under new ownership.

The day wrapped with a trip to the library, where I let them wander the aisles for as long as they wanted (though I did have to steer Porter away from an illustrated book called "Our Bodies" in the preteen section).









And though we're big readers in general, I was surprised at just how long they were both entertained thumbing through picture books.


And that's all it took: a few borrowed books, a tube of lipstick, lots of swimming and some spilled milk. It doesn't take much to find happy with these two underfoot.

3 comments:

Chad and Brittany said...

You are such a cute mom Jen. "Yes day" sounds awesome. That is every kids dream I think.

THE DENVER BURTS said...

Lovely. Absolutely lovely. :)

Layne & Crystal said...

Looks (and sounds) like it was a hit! Love all your pictures! Wish we were closer! Love you guys!!