11.09.2011

As Promised

Halloween is one million times more fun with kids. Even this year. Especially this year. And especially with these kids.



We needed a pick-me-up, and the finishing touches on costumes and force-feeding of vegetables before the sugarfest was a welcome distraction. A welcome, normal distraction alongside my two favorite people.


And though a little different, it felt pretty normal: excited chatter, big plans, late afternoon tantrums and a cartoon distraction while I tried to sneak the white shirt onto our all-pink princess who somehow, even with a bath towel draped around her, spilled the two bites of dinner she actually ate all over the front of the original princess top planned for her costume.

























And I laughed out loud when I looked back over the day's photos and saw this, because this is the Porter I know... naturally compliant and helpful enough to sit down and stay put, but not without a little whining — just to be sure you know what he really thinks.




And then I cried, reflecting on our different-but-normal Halloween. Just before I took this picture, the kids walked home from their babysitter's, which is down the street and around the corner. Porter arranged it, and he asked me to drive slowly alongside them as they walked, hand-in-hand, with big brother double-checking both directions before he would let his little sister cross the street. I cried because my boy is an amazing big brother. Would have been an amazing big brother to the two that were to join us.


But first I laughed. And it felt good and right for a day that had lots of smiles and happy memories.



At least until we ran into friends and let him loose, Porter was happy to wait for Nora to catch up before knocking, gently prodding her to say thank you before turning for the next door.

He said he wanted to be a mummy in the beginning of September and didn't change his mind once (though he did start making a long list of costume ideas for next year).
Mummy practice



We had to bribe him with a dollar and a candy bar to get him t touch the guts this year



In true Nora fashion, this one opted to paint her pumpkin this year as soon as she saw that we had pink paint.

Surprisingly, she branched out after first painting the entire thing pale pink (I am guessing because everyone else was still carving away and she didn't want to leave the action).
And we though it was funny that, without even realizing it, Porter's pumpkin design included just two teeth — in nearly the exact spots where his own had just fallen out days before.

Our girl stole the show, at least in my heart. She had been practice trick-or-treating for weeks. I've never seen a child more excited for candy. One week later, she still spontaneously giggles any time we say that yes, she may pick a piece of candy out of her pumpkin bucket.

Amid all the big, sad stuff we've been dealing with over the past few weeks, I truly was so, so grateful for a happy Halloween that didn't feel forced, just fun.








2 comments:

The Funderburks said...

They're precious. It was so great to see you last night. I have been thinking about you so much lately - so you're going to get lots of "checking in" from me.

THE DENVER BURTS said...

Love it. So glad you had a good Halloween. Wish we could've been there to trick or treat with you guys... maybe we would've gotten to more than three houses.