1.06.2011

Yum

The novel I blogged yesterday left me feeling like I owed my four faithful readers something in return for the half hour they spent on my holiday rehash. And my uber tasty dinner last night sealed the deal. Because I know I love a good recipe tip every now and again.

But first, because I seem to be long-winded these days, the back story:

Five years ago, when I was pregnant with Porter during an icy Toledo winter, I ate at a restaurant whose name I cannot recall and I ordered, for the first time in my life, chili. White chicken chili.

And I have been searching the web for something that could recreate the palate-pleasing magic that only a craving pregnant woman can understand ever since. My labors have, until now, been in vain.

May I present my new favorite chili (heck, it might just be my favorite soup).

And this, from a girl who does not fancy herself a chili kind of gal.

Photo and recipe courtesy Brooke McLay of Cheeky Kitchen
 Please refrain from licking the screen. But do run out and buy the ingredients for this soul-warming soup ASAP. You will thank me (I hope).

The recipe comes from my top recipe blog, Cheeky Kitchen. Once you have bought said ingredients and simmered said soup, cruise on over to this blog. It will not disappoint (again, I hope -- though my palate may not be as sophisticated as others).

Before I get to the recipe, she recommends adding cilantro, as do I. But, as you know from the Christmas post, I like to cram a whole lot of magic into each bite, so I would also recommend adding diced avocado and cherry tomatoes on top of that cilantro. Also, 'tis the season of resolutions, so go ahead and use fat free sour cream. I did, and it was still magical (though I drew the line at turkey bacon because husband complains every time I buy it and I was hoping to trick him into inhaling a few veggies hidden under the cheese and bacon of this wonderful soup).

Now, the recipe...

Amazing {and Easy!} White Chicken Chili
If you're hankering for something warm and wonderful, but need a change from your plain old pot of chili, you'll love this simple recipe. Filled with the rich flavors of bacon and garlic and sour cream, kissed with the sweetness of corn, each spoonful filled with shredded chunks of chicken, methinks it impossible to not adore this meal. We topped ours with cilantro, which added just enough fresh, heavenly flavor to make me happy for a month straight. This bowl made a perfect amount for our family of 6. If you plan to share it at a party of your own, I'd definitely recommend doubling it.
2 strips thick-cut bacon, cut into small pieces
1/2 sweet onion, diced
8-10 cloves roasted garlic (or 3 cloves of fresh garlic), chopped
1 (4 ounce) can green chilis
1 (15 ounce) can Northern beans
1 chicken breast, cooked & shredded
4 cups chicken broth
1/2 cup sour cream
1/3 cup white corn
1/2 cup manchego cheese (or monterey jack), grated
In a large pot, saute the bacon pieces until cooked (but not quite yet crispy). Add in the diced onions and garlic and cook with the bacon over medium high heat until the softened, about 3-5 minutes. Add the green chilis, beans, and chicken then dump in the chicken broth. Stir over heat until the soup becomes very hot, but isn't quite boiling. Stir in the sour cream and corn. Continue stirring over medium-high heat until the cheese melts. Serve right away & enjoy!

6 comments:

Chelsea said...

I also recently succeeded in a version that we thought was delish - I ended up combining two recipes. It's all that cheese and sour cream that make it so yummy :) Not health, but warm and smooth and perfect for chilly days!

Maxmomma said...

Looks like tonight's dinner! Thank you! Question- I only have canned black beans- would it ruin the soup to exchange these out for the Northern?

Karen said...

Ooooo...sounds delish :d Thanks so much for sharing!! I've been looking for a chicken chili recipe for awhile now. Will try tonight!

Brianne & Jarod said...

That looks tasty! Soooo tasty!

Karen said...

Well, I thought I would let you know that we tried this recipe over the weekend & it was a huge success! Everyone loved it & it was soooo easy. Thanks again!

Jen said...

Had this for dinner tonight - delicious! Thanks!