1.03.2011

Gobble, Gobble

Before I get into the mistletoe and holly, I need to take care of a little housekeeping. It seems that we were so busy a wassailing all through December that the blog got lost under a pile of wrapping paper and unfinished crafts, which means I never gave a second though to a Thanksgiving that was very deserving of a little warm and fuzzy blogging. Not very good form for someone who purports to love Thanksgiving above all other national holidays.

So yes, one month and 1-1/2 weeks late, our Thanksgiving highlights (sadly, not as thoughtful and articulate as they would have been had I not procrastinated -- story of my life):

1) My mom and sister's help in the kitchen.
No pics, because I was hosting in our home this year and I spent the week preceding the feast reciting my cooking timeline over and over and over again. No time to think about F-stops and lighting. BUT, very happy memories. Though I must say, I'm not sure I'm sold on the cook for three days to enjoy a 45-minute meal game plan.

2) Being left alone in my chefery (you can make up cooking terms once you spend days on end in the kitchen).
Really, not a tantrum or whine in sight, thanks to adoring uncles and aunts.







































3) Watching my brother do the dishes.
I think that was a first in McAfee family history, and I am very much wishing I would have thought to capture it on film.

4) Black Friday success.
The trick, it turns out, is to take people with you who do not have children, and then manipulate their love for your own children into an obligation to stake out various aisles of the overcrowded toy section. Thanks to Mom and Mandy for almost never tiring of my dreaming and scheming.

5) The traditional McAfee family cookie painting contest.
We set out every year, full of gusto to best our siblings, but by the time we frost (and eat) more than six dozen sugar cookies, we are all too sugared out to remember the final judgement. But to hear us talk, the competition is something fierce.


This one spent the entire afternoon frosting and then licking
the one same cookie.

Look at that rainbow technique.
Too bad cookie painting wont pay the bills.








































6) Family.
Grandma & Grandpa in their formal Thanksgiving Day attire













7) A month of gobbling and handprint turkey pictures from our own little turkey.

1 comment:

Maxmomma said...

Nice!!!! I love the fierce cookie painting contest! I am with you- I have a hard time understanding three days of slaving for 45 min. of feasting too.... perhaps this is why my weeknight dinners are not allowed to take over 30 minutes to prepare! ps.... will you sen me your email address again? I'd LOVE a Christmas card!