1.05.2011

M-E-R-R-Y

Very merry, indeed.

I don't know where to start. The Burt's Christmas of 2010 was merry and bright and full of everything I imagined Christmas with kids would be -- right down to the 10:15 p.m. Christmas Eve run to Walgreens (the only store still open in our sleepy town) for batteries and milk.

And now that the tree is down and the Santa mugs are bubble-wrapped, I am looking over a month's worth of festivities and marveling that we somehow fit this all in without losing our sense of holly and jolly (with the exception of one harried three-turned-five hour drive down a very snowy I-15). And though mother nature didn't deliver on the White Christmas I was hoping for, UPS did.



And that about sums up the low-key Christmas we enjoyed at home full of big huge plans that we pared down to manageable chunks of holiday magic.



Mismatched lounge wear and ragamuffin hair magic.

This year will go down as the year to beat in Burt family lore.



We kicked December off with the city's annual Christmas Storybook Parade, featuring every children's fairytale and Disney movie character you can imagine and complete with pared down Macy's Thanksgiving Day knock-offs and a visit from Ol' St. Nick.



 And I've said it a million times, but Andy and I both feel so lucky to have picked this place as our home-for-now. Where else would you see an entire town come out to see, quite possibly, the world's worst Kung Fu Panda impressionist? And where else would everyone cheer for our unlikely hero?
  
That I met my boyfriend-turned-husband in this little red-rock rimmed valley is just the beginning of why I love Cedar City. See what I mean?



And this little guy walked away from that encounter star-struck. As in, I don't ever want to wash this hand again.

Too bad parades are full of germs.

As a side note, I am still trying to identify the circus clown that knew Porter's name and kindly made his day with the friendly hello. Anyone?


A week later in our Christmas-at-home...

Any guesses?

Yep, that's the look of a kid who is just two more people away from visiting with Santa.

Sadly, we didn't get any great shots, thanks to an overtired and very dubious little girl, but our quick trip for a slew of family parties in SLC the week before Christmas took care of that when the jolly old elf crashed the annual McAfee Family Clam Chowder Party.


And this is what Porter first made of the surprise Santa



I just love the Popeye smile that comes out whenever he is nervous. Remind you of anyone, uncle Chris (Jen's brother -- we have two Uncle Chrises)?

And that's not all. While in the big city, we attended three family parties; did a little last-minute holiday crafting; hit up IKEA for a whole lot of randomness that somehow totaled $200 (pretty sure I "needed" it all, though); and headed downtown to see the Christmas windows and gingerbread house display at the Grand America.



The hat was the gift to beat until he got the boom crane truck from Grandpa Burt. But it enjoyed a good run; thanks Uncle Chris & Aunt Mariah


A girl after my own heart, she loved the shoe and jewelry windows.

The windows were magical. Each window had hidden letters (as in , "R is for Reindeer"), and the kids had little A-Z cards to fill out as they wandered, Olivia in tow (still a favorite. Kudos, Aunt Mandy).



At the end, when their cards were complete, the kids took them to the hotel's sweet shop for a special treat (the BEST sugar cookie I have ever tasted). And if you have ever been to the Grand America's sweet shop, you'll know that just standing in the middle of it all with a jaw-dropping gawk is a treat in itself. I felt like, well, a kid in a candy store, and really wanted to take pictures but my grinch--er, husband drew the line at gratuitous photography. Same goes for the children's toy store in said hotel. Beautiful.


But I'm getting ahead of myself. Before the week-before-Christmas, we enjoyed lots of cozy little holiday traditions we've formed with our own little family and with friends-turned-family here in Cedar.

Our favorites...

Gingerbread Houses.







Trimming the Tree
(and hunting the house for her favorite "suga-plum fairy" every. single. day. Look at the guilt in those eyes!)


















Gingerbread Men (and women)




She preferred licking and talking to hers over decorating



The Santa plate and mugs from my grandma.
I snapped this just before it went back into the box for another year. Proof that I needed the no sugar challenge my running buddy has issued
 and Christmas Baking
(i.e. "how to entertain a toddler in the kitchen for hours on end")






















Whew! Quite honestly, there would probably have been more run-around had we not all gotten sick the week of Christmas. But even that was a blessing in disguise. Who doesn't love the excuse to stay in jammies all day on the couch? Especially after a morning this exciting...

Waiting to see if Santa came




The aforementioned boom crane



 


He got a lecture after I uploaded all our pictures about how I would be the Bigfoot of the family if he didn't start helping to document my presence in their lives.

Runny noses and all, it was everything we had both been hoping for. Though we repeatedly questioned our budgeting when her favorite gifts ended up being the candy bracelets and giant cotton candy Lip Smackers chapstick Santa left in her stocking.



Yes, I know this is the longest post ever.

Zumba in the bathtub.

Just checking to see if you're still reading. If you are, thanks for humoring me. Here's a little more ho-ho-ho randomness because I, apparently, have no editorial filter when it comes to the most wonderful time of the year.

Our first handmade Porter ornaments
(another moment of sappy-hearted perfection)

Her favorite spot all of Christmas Eve
My own baby ornament, circa 1981 (that's right, the big 3-0 looms)
Another treasured heirloom brought back from the dead, courtesy of my beloved Target
I let her dress herself on Christmas day. We had no where to be.
And my favorite Christmas candy of all time. So delicious, that should you have been smart enough to exclude eating stuffs from your list of resolutions, I urge you to run to the store to snatch up any that may be left in the 90% off holiday bin. Eat some for me too.

Now get off the computer and go do something fun. Sheesh. Who writes a 25-minute long blog post, anyway?

5 comments:

Maxmomma said...

What a sweet holiday! I really am impressed you find the time to do all of this- on top of work, the primary, and all the routine things that seem to be endless (laundry, dishes, meals, etc.). Btw, I adore your little boy's hair!

M2 (Melissa) said...

I love it! I love those candy canes kisses as well! Glad you had a great holiday - I am exhausted just reading it!

Clifton and Melinda said...

I love everything!!! I miss you so much Jen!! It looks like you had an amazing holiday :)

Jen said...

You guys packed a lot of magic into the holidays! I love all the photos. You took some great pictures, Jen. Those Christmas jammies are adorable. And I love the photo of Porter looking at the gingerbread village.

I'm almost motivated to write my own Christmas blog entry, but then just overwhelmed by how long it must have taken to put this awesomeness together. Great post!

Brianne & Jarod said...

I write them all the time. And they are WORTH every minute! Your kids are going to love reading those memories!