11.22.2010

That's not normal?

In reference to Saturday evening's victory dance on the ol' blog, a friend of mine has suggested that wall washing is, well, not normal. In my defense:

1) I only wash walls once a year and only because I was raised doing it once a year. I know no other way. It's as natural as assigning chair leg and banister dusting to my kids as chores. Blame it on my mom.
2) I kind of have a thing about dirty baseboards. Also my mom's fault. (I can trace the obsession back to an off-handed comment in my youth about how you can tell how clean people really are by looking at their baseboards). That was, of course, delivered while I was being forced to wash the baseboards.

3) Porter's latest trick is to pick his nose and then wipe his finger on the wall. It is disgusting and I am considering corporal punishment to break this weird habit. If my brother is reading this, he probably feels oh so vindicated, considering I used to tease him endlessly about the same gross habit when he was a little guy not much older than Porter. Mariah, I hope for your sake that this habit has since been broken.

And since I'm feeling all nostalgic about family oddities in preparation of the upcoming turkey gathering, let me just put this one out there:
Mom and Dad, how in the world did you make a bigger deal out of my nail biting than Chris' picking and wiping?

Oh the fun to be had when the McAfees gather. Can't wait!

4 comments:

Kristy said...

I loathe washing walls, but when you have kids you have to do it every once in a while. We also had to do it at my house and it was one of my least favorite chores. Just had to do the whole of my old house as we were moving out and have yet still to do the whole of this house as it also needs to be done. I don't think it's strange at all! :)

Mariah said...

I also don't think washing walls is weird. They get dusty and gross especially with a puppy and I imagine kids.

As far as I know Chris doesn't do that anymore, but I promise my reaction to seeing it, if I ever did, would be enough to scare him away from that practice for life. My theme song is Freak Out after all :)

walkerfamily said...

hmmm, washing walls. Never really considered it that important. Maybe that's because I have a habit of repainting every 2-3 years. Does that suffice? And yes, the booger thing is a boy trait, little maggots.

Maxmomma said...

LOL! Jennifer- I love your writing! I had to wash baseboards too, but don't do it on the monthly schedule my mother used to have me doing it! Let's be honest- it rarely ever happens at my house!