5.28.2010

Bad, Jiminy

So I have this rule that, over the years, has saved me loads of buyer's remorse and at least a few marital disputes.

I don't buy clothes that aren't on sale.

Because they always go on sale eventually. And when they do, I kick myself.

Because my husband wants to be a teacher, and though admirable, this does not bode well for my effortless life of luxury.

And because I'm not a long-term wardrober. I like to switch things up with the seasons, with my mood, with trends, and that's hard to do when you blow $48 on a single shirt.

So, sadly, I don't buy clothes that aren't on sale.

But today? Today I seriously questioned that pestering Jiminy Cricket and his silly songs about conscience and doing what's right.

And for one bright, shiny moment, before I remembered the playset we bought last night and the vegetables that need to be purchsed and planted this weekend, I went on a shopping spree, filling my cart with pleasant surprises from a company I had relegated to the over-fifty apparel crowd.

And what'd I find?

This (though I think I'd do a navy blue bottom).



















And these (with a short-sleeved cardi, even if my husband thinks I'm turning into an old woman with all the cardigans I wear of late).



 And this.



















Blasted rules! That's right, conscience, I'm talking to you. Take your chirpy spokesperson and your guilt and shove it. I wanna go shopping.

But I won't.

So one request:
Once I tell you where to find all these cute goodies (and I promise you'll be surprised), if you indulge (really am cursing the dumb playset. Kids like rocks and dirt -- who needs a slide?), wanna share?

Drumroll please...
Lands' End.
Seriously. They have a new line called Canvas, and it's youthful and fresh without looking like it was made for a 15-year-old. It's J Crew at 3/4 of the price, and I am swooning.

3 comments:

M2 (Melissa) said...

I love the Canvas line - I have to admit I like the regular Landsend for swimsuits and good t-shirts!!

The Funderburks said...

Canvas looks classic Jen. I am going to have to check it out. I drool over JCrew. Around this time of year my Andy begs me not to wear cardigans - I m an addict. You have impressive restraint to not buy things unless they're on sale (usually).

Chelsea said...

I recently went shopping for a whole new wardrobe somewhere I thought was only for "old" people--Coldwater Creek. When they rang me up, my total was almost $1,000. I almost passed out. But then the shopping gods tapped on my friendly cashier and reminder her that there was a 50% off sale the following week. So, I put everything on hold, went back a week later, and found myself with so many clothes, I won't have to do laundry until August...and for the price of $465. And since I finally spent good money on good clothes, I can actually wear them for more than one season :D I just had to share that shopping triumph with someone who would appreciate it!