6.14.2010

Fun in the Sun

It's here. At long last.
We went from a teaser spring...


















that forced us back indoors to our cabin fever,















and a little bowling.

















To this.















And even though 90 degrees always feels hotter than I remember, we're cramming in our outdoor play like sunshine junkies.



We're swimming,
















and playing with friends.


We're blowing bubbles.
















-- Even if our hair is not done. (Though "this is done," according to our stay-at-home dad.)

We're eating blackberries (Bonus points if you can find the hanging-from-a-strand barrette.)
















And ice cream. (I'll take an almost-smile and face-forward picture of the elusive Daddy Burt even if it does mean showcasing his weird squirrel face that he generally reserves for failed spousal flirting for all the world to see.)
















And snow cones. (This is Wes, Porter's twin, separated at birth and reunited at 21 months in Cedar City. BFFs ever since.)




We're smelling flowers.
















Visiting landmarks. (Porter was there, but was too fascinated with all the construction cranes surrounding Temple Square to pose for a family pic.)






















And when it gets too hot, we duck inside to bake some cookies just so we can eat them.































Ok, we only did that once.
I'm a working mom.
And it was a little too hot in the kitchen. And left me with dishes I really didn't want to wash and calories I really didn't want to count.

But they were good cookies, and worthy of summer's joy (with an added bonus of working all our soon-to-be outdated photos into one big burtastic post).















And now, after two full weeks of sunscreen and shorts, we (and by we, I really just mean crazy OCD me with big plans and no concept of time) are frantically scrawling a summer to-do list and penciling activities onto the calendar, for fear of missing out on one minute of our first unfettered summer in years.

That's right. No moving boxes. No new babies. No paint brushes (though I do have my eye on a few backyard construction projects for my handier half). No sod or rocks nor rakes or shovels.

Just summer.
Feels good.

Post Script:
As I was preparing to post this, the temps dropped and the skies opened, leaving Andy and I to compete in the Utah "Summer" Games this past weekend in gloves and hats (more on that to come). I had to wait to post the summer lovin' post until my precious sunshine returned. It has, and I'm scheming a picnic in the mountains for dinner tonight as we speak.

7 comments:

Layne & Crystal said...

LOVE all your pics Jen! I know we see you guys all the time, but love your pics of the kids. And we LOVE Judd's. I am totally jealous that you guys went. We used to always catch their soup and breadstick lunch specials when we were dating back in StG :o)

The Funderburks said...

Oh, the fickle weather of Cedar City. I'm jealous of your summer adventures but I'm destined to a very fettered summer! Oh well. Such cute photos. What is this Judd's? I must know.

Kristy said...

I love summer! Fun post...cute kiddos!

Sandi said...

I don't know how you do everything you do but I'm glad you still find time to play/run with me:) Yay for summer!

THE DENVER BURTS said...

I miss you guys! Yet again, I'll say, I wish we lived closer.

Jen said...

Love all the photos! You guys have been having fun this summer. So glad you get to enjoy one that doesn't involve moving or other major projects/life transitions. Can't wait to see your summer to-do list.

Jen said...
This comment has been removed by the author.