1.21.2010

Speechless

Or should I say, mind-boggled, as the problem in writing this post is really that I have too much to say rather than nothing at all. And it's all thanks to my friendly neighborhood salesman at a well-known exercise facility that rhymes with cold skim. Keep reading - promise it'll be worth your while.

In the final month of my two-year contract with said gym, I've been plotting a lower-my-rates-or-else chat. However, since the only time I seem to actually hit the treadmills lately is when my workout buddy Sandi drags me along in the evenings, I decided I'd simply make an appointment for an afternoon when I would be business-minded and a manager would be on hand for negotiating. So I asked the college student-desk attendant if I could make an appointment with a manager, and this, dear readers, is where the story begins. But rather than taint your perspective with my snarky narrative, I'll simply include exceprts of a VERY long conversation with the 20-year-old meathead who works the office night shift. Enjoy.

Me: "Since you're insistent on settling this now rather than letting me talk with your manager, here's my bottom line: I want lower rates because right now, I'm paying more per month than all my friends and family who are also members of your gym."
Meathead: "You're not paying more than me. See, I'll show you." (lunging for the keyboard at his manager's desk."
Me: "No, that's ok. I don't really care what you pay; I'm more interested in what I'm paying."
Meathead: "Good, because I couldn't show you anyway - my membership is frozen because we don't have to pay for a membership when we work here."

Me: "I also don't understand why I pay more for the small Cedar City gym than my friends are paying in Salt Lake. They get a pool, racquetball courts and A LOT more equipment."
Meathead: "Well that's not my fault. I don't buy our equipment."
Me: "I'm not blaming you."
Meathead: "I just don't know what you want me to do about it. Maybe get all your friends to sign up and then we can build a bigger gym." 

Ok, a little snark: He was dead serious when he said that, expectantly-raised eyebrows and all.

Me: "So several of my friends who also go to this gym are paying less than $20 a month. I want that same deal."
Meathead (handing me a post-it and a pen): "Write down the full names of all your friends."
Me: "What?"
Meathead: "I'll look up all their accounts."
Me: "Maybe I should ask them first?"
Meathead (very insistent - I demured several times before finally complying): "No, it's ok, I can look up whoever I want anytime I want."
Meathead (in reaction to one of the names I gave him): "Wow, that's a weird name...Huh...never heard that name before...strange."

Focus, meathead, please!!! And stop insulting my friends.


Me: "I should also mention that I've checked with Snap (another local gym),  and they can give me a membership for under $20 a month."
Meathead: "Well, have you been there?! They don't have as many treadmills or weights as we have and they don't pffer classes. You'd be stupid to go there."
Me:  "Well, I can't attend any of your classes because I work and 98-percent of yours are offered in the day, and at least a quarter of your treadmills are out of service every time I come."
Meathead: "That's not my fault. What do you want me to do about it?"
Me: "Maybe pass it along to your manager?"
Meathead: "He doesn't care."

Meathead (making me an offer on a new rate): "...Plus, that's a VIP membership, so you'll get free tanning and daycare."
Me: "I won't use either of those."
Meathead: "It's ok, our tanning beds don't cause skin cancer."
Meathead (in response to my doubtful look): "No really, the sun has different kinds of rays...like a C ray and an X ray--"
Me: "--You mean UVA and UVB?"
Meathead: "Exactly. Our tanning beds don't have the bad rays."
Me: "Pretty sure that's not possible."
Meathead: "It's a new science study that just came out. Maybe you haven't heard of it."

I know, I could stop there and this post would be complete, but one more, just for fun?

Me (after MH made another price offer): "Ok, I really just wanted to make an appointment to talk with a manager during the day. My friend is waiting to get home and it's late, so I'll think about this and get back to you."
Meathead: "Well the offer is only good tonight--like right now. I'm pretty sure you won't get his deal again. Ever."
Me: "Well, I still want to talk it over with my husband, so I'll take my chances."
Meathead: "Ok, well maybe I can extend the offer. What time will you come in tomorrow to sign up?"

Me: "I work and have kids and my mother-in-law is visiting, and I don't come to the gym every day, so so I wasn't planning on coming in tomorrow."
Meathead: "Well then I'll call you. When can I call?"
Me: "Can I just call you? I'm not sure what my evening will hold."
Meathead: "It's not like I'm going to blow up your phone or anything."

And that, my friends, is why even a gym membership salesman should get on-the-job training.

8 comments:

Kristy said...

That made me laugh out LOUD! So are you going to keep going there? So curious to know....

Most people that work there are nice, at least they used to be. Our membership ran out last year and we didn't renew because it was summer and we figured we could work out outside.

What you need to do is print that out and give it to the manager....

DeAnna said...

That's so funny! I actually went through the same thing about 2 weeks ago with the new manager that looks & acts like she is 18. So if you get a hold of her good luck. She didn't offer me anything & had the nerve to tell me that I was actually getting a good deal. I told her I am pretty sure I am not because the gym doesn't offer anything. I am definitely not impressed with them. Let me know if you have any luck.

Sandi said...

Ha ha this made me laugh so hard! It really was so weird to hear that conversation. You better renew though! What would I do?!

THE DENVER BURTS said...

Hilarious, although I'm sure frustrating at the time. Thanks for the trip back in time! I seem to remember several of those conversations with Cold Skim employees when we were there!

Clifton and Melinda said...

Wow!! That is all I can say.

walkerfamily said...

Apparently they pay their employees with steroids and stupid pills....

Jeff and Melina Burgess said...

Been there for sure, and if its the same meathead that worked there on the night shift as when I worked there, his brain is fried! Good luck, its hit and miss with the manager is my guess. You could come to Spirit Fitness, that's where we go and totally love it, I even go in the evening too.

Maxmomma said...

How painful!!!! How do people like this get hired to be working with people??? Thank you for recording it for us- it made me laugh out loud too!

By the way, I am so impressed you go to the gym frequently... reminds me I need to get back to that. Any tips on how you got to be a morning person?