12.08.2008

We Love our Small Town

I'll start by saying this post has no scrapbookable photos. Sorry. I just thought I needed to post something considering I haven't posted a picture since October. So here's a recap of the last two months of Burt...

Halloween: Porter was a very polite ghost who refused to take a second candy when kind neighbors told him to take more than one. (He also apparently loves suckers, and chose Dum-Dums over chocolate at every door. This did not make for very fun parental candy raiding after the festivities had ended.) No pictures because my camera battery died.

Early November: Baby prep, furniture painting (good husband) and some last-minute trips to Salt Lake and St. George for things you can't buy at Wal-Mart (aside from three grocery stores, that's all Cedar has to offer).

Thanksgiving: My folks and my sister, Mandy, visited. Busy playing hostess and forgot to pull out the camera - though I've been promised copies of the pics my mom and Mandy snapped. (Ladies?) Good visit, a few killer Black Friday steals, and we got the Christmas tree and lights up to boot.

In between all of that, we've been trying to squeeze in some extra fun for Porter before the baby gets here (I hear newborns and the flu season do not make for a lot of public outings). Soon, we will no longer be a family of three.


Last Weekend (and the reason for the "We Love our Small Town" title of this post):
Cedar City's Christmas Children's Festival.
Fireworks on Friday night (from the car, overlooking the valley...Andy and Porter both had the flu).

Breakfast with Santa on Saturday morning (Unfortunately, we missed this one thanks to a lingering fever for Porter that caused maternal instincts to win out over festivities and photo opps)

And the Christmas Parade Saturday afternoon. We did hit this one (just Porter and I - Andy had homework), and though this picture may not look it, as Porter was a bit tired and run down (don't worry: the fever had disappeared by the afternoon and Porter was asking about the parade all morning long), the parade was a lot of fun.

All the floats in the parade are themed after popular fairy tales and Disney movies, and many of the most popular characters walked alongside the road, giving the kids high fives and hugs (though none stayed long enough for any respectable photos). Porter was very excited when Bert, of Bert and Ernie, gave him a high five. He was also over the moon when he saw "the pirates" who were actually members of a bagpipe band (not sure why he thinks pirates wear plaid skirts), and loved the Three Little Pigs (he and Andy play "big bad wolf" on a daily basis) and the Where the Wild Things Are floats (so much, in fact, that he asked me to take a picture of the WTWTA monsters...after the float had passed).


But the highlight of the day (besides the high school bands who played Christmas medlies and the herd of mini horses dressed as reindeer) was most definitely the big balloons reminiscent of a much more popular parade on Thanksgiving day in New York. Though the balloons spent a large portion of the parade pulled close to the ground (Cedar City strings lights back and forth across Main Street), the balloons were a huge success in Porter's book (and the reason you can only see the back of his head in this picture. He kept saying "No, Mommy, I'm busy," when I asked him to turn around for a picture).

All in all, a lot of fun. And cause for a long nap afterwards. Hope the Christmas bug (but not the flu bug) has begun to take root in your homes as well.

1 comment:

Clifton and Melinda said...

How fun!! And I love your new background :)