Nora says "do never," as in "I do never want to be a swimmer because there are too many sharks," or "Mommy, do never ever do my hair ever again," and, of course, "I do never ever want to kiss a boy." I love it, especially because the do-nevers are almost always things she will inevitably love to do one day.
Turns out I thought I did never want to blog again because I am a quarter of a year behind. But here I now sit, ready to slog through. Pretty sure I've lost all readership, which is fine. But I recently tackled another do-never....family photo books (ok, just 2008 and 2009), and it would have been a much bigger project had I not kept a running account of life in Burtlandia. So without further ado, one of those missing months, in moments...
September
A quick trip to Park City to ride the Alpine Slide (and buy school clothes and complete Andy's six-month Lasik follow-up).
September also brought a few trips to our own, closer mountains down south, complete with the requisite KFC picnic with pals. Unfortunately, what was sweltering and sunny in the valley's daytime quickly turned into a freak summertime 40-degree cold snap that left us all feeling very cold and under-prepared for not just the picnic, but the night star presentation at the state park just down the road. Fortunately, we were with the kind of close friends who don't mind sharing and cuddling in warmth's sake.


![]() |
| Aaaand, it was too cold to take many more pictures than that, but there was a fire, thanks to loads of lighter fluid on wet twigs, and s'mores, etc. |
![]() |
| Just look at Porter's face—doesn't that look like fun worth ditching school for? Turns out a group of little people holding wiggly babies do not enjoy having their pictures taken. |
![]() |
| Much better. |
This one loves babies, but only the real kind. She got a Cabbage Patch doll for Christmas that I was sure would turn that all around—not even a little interested. Fortunately, there are cousins who seem to have much more patient temperaments than our own girlie did, even then.
![]() |
| Meet cousin Millie. She got her mama's eyes, lucky girl. |
After settling into the school year as a FIRST GRADER, this boy grew up all at once.
He suddenly schemes new ways to get money (though he never spends any of it).
The rock shop made a whopping 68 cents after I knocked on our pre-teen neighbor's door with a handful of coins and begged him to come buy the rocks my son had just pilfered out of his and all the rest of our neighbors' yards.
He spells.
And he does weird things in public that only make sense to a 61/2-year-old boy.
![]() |
| On our first day of school ice cream date. He swore he was comfortable and just needed to relax after being in school ALL DAY LONG. |
And speaking of back to school, we celebrated SUU's homecoming in grand fashion, with football and parades and a late-night dance party at an outdoor summer family-friendly concert. If you're not parenting in a small college town, you should be. Oodles of free fun, loads of safe, clean space to run and explore, and the added benefit of kids who talk about college like it's a given—this really cool place they'll get to one day go.




One do-never down, four more months to go.

















2 comments:
My goodness - your "little" one are growing up so fast! Glad to see you back on the blog circuit :)
Love the Porter-Daddy twinner Adidas kicks! Kool Kids...
Post a Comment