10.12.2011

Was

The one word that changed everything: Was.

To most of you — my friends who were not on the immediate call list but who have still all been so important to me and my family — this post will seem rather abrupt. There is no etiquette for sharing bad news with the masses, however, and as I sit here and wait for everything to change, I feel like I need for those I care about to know. And I have no idea how to spread the word when I can't muster a phone call, let alone several.

And I can't imagine what it would feel like to come back to blogland months from now with photos of Halloween costumes and stories of the holidays without acknowledging that the Burts have been changed and that the soon-to-be family of six is just a family of four after all.



Porter and Nora both came into the world a little early and of their own accord. One day, everything was normal, and then suddenly, a contraction. and another. and another, until you're nervously smiling and calling the doctor and sure that today is the day you get to meet your child.

I was always grateful that they forged their own birth stories whenever I heard of friends who had to be induced or had scheduled c-sections. I just thought it would be so overwhelming to have a timeline for something so wholly life changing.

And it is.

I have two babies inside me whose hearts have stopped beating. Whose spirits have returned to their Heavenly Father and whose bodies will soon be delivered from mine. And as I sit here — staring the clock down, begging it to stop while, at the same time, willing the sun to rise and end this waiting — I am overwhelmed at the thought that these are my final hours of pregnancy.

I don't know how to do this. How to one day be pregnant and hopeful and so happy with the two little boys whose whole lives I have a thousand times imagined full of adventure and mischief and joy. And then to simply turn it all off, like waking from a dream to realize that none of that is to be.

And the clock keeps moving.

And I can't sleep. And I keep wondering what you're supposed to pack for the hospital when you're not bringing a baby home.

And though I'll probably regret pouring my heart out online in the light of day and once the shock wears off, I just wanted to think and to write and to mark this quiet moment that I will never forget.

22 comments:

Jen said...

Oh Jen... I feel like I am the first to read this... For the past day I felt like something wasn't right across the street and something was wrong! I had no idea of this though, I thought bedrest and you might need help, but then I pushed it off since I saw you outside Monday walking around dressed so nicely! I couldn't stop thinking about you and checked Facebook and your blog last night at 2:00 A.M. to see if everything's ok...!! Then after getting the girls off to school I thought I would check again, and I found this post! My heart aches for you and I wanted you to know that I've been thinking of you!!

M2 (Melissa) said...

You are in my prayers - I am so sorry! There is no way to prepare or even deal with the loss of your children. I am so sorry that your boys will not be coming home with you.

Don't regret sharing because we will all be thinking of you and praying that you feel our love!

Get a priesthood blessing, hold your family close, and take all the time you need to rejoice and mourn your boys!

All my love - Melissa

The Funderburks said...

Jen, I am so shocked and saddened by this news.  I can't even imagine how you are existing right now.  Know that you are in our thoughts and prayers. I'm glad you wrote about it; not just for me to be aware but I hope that it can help you start down the path of healing somewhat.  Sure do love you and your fam.  So very sorry.

Jaime said...

Oh Jen. My heart is breaking for you. No mother should ever have to experience what you are going through. Life is not fair. I love you so much, as does your Father in Heaven. I hope you can find comfort through Him during this time. Thank you for sharing such a personal and difficult part of your life. I'm so sorry.

Mary said...

Dear Jen. Thank you for letting us know. We are so saddened for you and your family. We love you and know that you are strong and hope you know your family is hurting along with you. We are here for you, Andy and Porter and Nora, along with your ever resilient mom and dad.
Love, Aunt Mary and Uncle Tommy.

Kristy said...

Jen - I am so sorry for your family's loss. I haven't been able to stop thinking about you since Joey told me yesterday. Please let us know if there is anything we can do. You are in our prayers.

Anonymous said...

I found out your beautiful two baby boys were called back to our Father in Heaven as your mom and dad were on their way to your home yesterday. After receiving the phone call, my first thoughts were prayers for you and Andy. Then I realized how very special their sweet spirits must be, that they could forgo all of the trials of this world and wait for you and the family to join them later. I know in due time when you think of them peace will fill your heart. We love all of you so much. Grandma and Grandpa

Roni said...

Sweet Jen - I am so very sorry to hear about your little boys. When Mariah called to let us know, my heart just broke for you and your little family. I thought how very happy everyone was on Saturday at the shower and how excited you were. Our family's thoughts and prayers are going out toward you and yours. Please remember your little boys did and do exist. They just chose a different life path than normal. We love you and are thinking of you. Roni, Bill & the Stakely Family

Layne & Crystal said...

Oh Jen, my heart is breaking for you. I cannot even fathom how you are feeling. Please know your family is in our thoughts & prayers. We love you all so very much. Let us know if there is anything we can do.

Administrator said...

Jen... You have always chosen to express yourself through the written word and you continue to do so now. There is no wrong way to grieve, and this is the way you choose. Please know that everyone in your world is deeply touched by your choice to share with us. You are in my thoughts and prayers...kiss your kids...take some time...turn your face to the sun...breathe. Love you.

Clifton and Melinda said...

Jen-I have been thinking about you all day. I have been praying for you all day. I don't know what to say to bring you comfort. What I do know is that you have a Father in Heaven that knows you. He knows what kind of mother you are and what kind of mother you will be. He knows each of your little boys and He knows that you were the person they needed to help them return to live with Him once again. He loves you. Your family and friends love you. We grieve for your loss and are forever touched with your choice to share your heart with us. I love you and am thinking about you. Melinda

Chad and Brittany said...

Jen I am so sorry. I can't even imagine what you are going through but please know that you are in my thoughts and prayers. If there is anything I can do to help please let me know. I would love to watch your kids or bring you meals or whatever. I am so sorry.

Dezaree said...

Jen, my heart is breaking for you and your little family. This is such devastating news, and I know no words can comfort you right now. I have had two miscarriages before we finally got Phoebee here, but I was not as far along as you were.....and that was hard enough to deal with - the idea that you've just lost a baby that was growing inside of you. I can't imagine what you must be feeling right now. My heart just hurts thinking about it.

I know that putting this on your blog, rather than having to make those calls or explain things over and over again was probably very difficult for you. However, like Nicole said, I believe that this is the first step in a long line of many that you had to take in order to heal from this loss. Please know that I am thinking of you and praying for you and your family. If there is ever anything that you need, please please let me know. I'm so very sorry.

Andrea said...

Jen, my heart aches for you. I'm sorry. You're in my thoughts and prayers.
You are beautiful. Such a beautiful person and your words are moving! I dont think you'll regret sharing the moment. You shouldn't anyway.
Know that you are so loved by so many.
And if there is anything I can do... I'd love to help you some how.

Paige said...

Jen I am so sorry. You will be in my thoughts and prayers. Be strong. Its such a hard trial, wish there was something I could do to help!

Steph said...

My heart goes out to you! Having loved and lost a child is seriously one of the hardest things to endure. Stay close to your Savior, He does ease the pain, I promise.

The Andersens said...

Jen, my heart is breaking for you. I am so so sorry. I cant imagine what you and you your family are going through right now. Please remember how much you are loved. You have been in my prayers..Please let me know how we can all help.

Anonymous said...

Jen, my heart goes out to you during this time. I'm sorry for what you're going through. I don't know of any words that will help comfort during this time. I love you! Let yourself go through any emotion that surfaces. -Teresa

Maxmomma said...

Oh Dear Jen- I am so, so very sorry. My eyes are full of tears and heart full of love for you and wishing I had something to say to help share what you are having to carry. You will be in my prayers- you all will. I am sure his angels are close to you through this- I will pray you get to feel them.

Karen said...

I'm so very sorry, Jen :( Don't feel bad about sharing your news with those who care about you...it's a way of healing & it helps those around you help you make it through this very hard trial in your life. I wish there were words to say that would make it better but just know that your Heavenly Father is aware of you and pour your heart out to Him. He is always there for you! Sending prayers & hugs your way but wish I could do it in person. Let us know if there is anything we can do for you. ♥ Karen

Keri said...

Dear Jen, you have been constantly on my mind and in my prayers this last week. I was so touched to read the stories of your sons and their gift to your family. I am so grateful for the knowledge we have that families are forever. May your heart grow strong and your sorrow lessen each day. Please let me know how I can help you and your family. Love to you always. Keri

J S and S said...

Jen, You are so brave and strong. I pray you will be able to feel the love surrounding you and your family right now. Julie (Your Mom's friend from work)