Except when it is.
But the thing is, I don't know how to go from a post about the babies I wanted so badly to a post about how my two-year-old wants nothing to do with pants now that she has new, "big girl" Rapunzel underwear, which she accessorizes with nothing but ruby slippers.
Both hold a whole lot of space in my heart, but the transition from tragedy to humdrum, from heartache to joy, feels strange and impossible and surreal no matter which camp I find myself in at any moment.
![]() |
| our first baby splurge after finding out our twins were two little boys |
I want everything to stop, to give me a minute to figure things out at some undetermined time in the future when things like this are to be figured out.
But instead, everything goes on. And though that is probably good and necessary, it just feels so darn unfair to the baby boy-filled life I had a thousand times imagined my own. Like I'm betraying my boys by looking ahead to a life that does not have them in it.
I was going to be pregnant with twins for Halloween, and I was going to eat every Tootsie Roll and Mr. Goodbar in sight without an ounce of guilt, and we were going to find two tiny pumpkins at the pumpkin patch for the twin brothers who would soon join the chaos. Instead, I made my mom make my kids' costumes while I cried in my room; I have honestly considered the dentist's offer to trade candy for cash; and I bought enough pumpkins to line our entire walkway just because I couldn't bear to only see four pumpkins alone on our stoop.
Can I please hit the pause button?
Because the costumes are cute, and I really want to enjoy my kids running around in them without feeling guilty. And the candy is as sugary as ever, but I'd like to eat it without thinking about the pregnancy weight I have no reason to hang onto. And the pumpkin-lined pathway brings a smile to my face every time I look out the window, but then I remember the two tiny pumpkins I'd rather have in its place.
And so I sit. And I wait. And I try to have faith that normal will again feel normal one day.





6 comments:
So poignant and beautifully expressed. I'm crying a little for you, just imagining how hard this must be. It's surreal to see how much heartbreak and how much beauty are in your life at the same time these days. I'm glad that you're sharing both. And the photos are amazing; they really capture how much you've lost and how much you have.
Thinking of you Jen. I am sure there will be many more days of sadness and joy - that is ok! I hate to say it will get easier but it will and then it will be hard again! Everyday I think of you - my heart is sad for you all and the two pumpkins that are missing!
P.S. Eat some candy will wild abandonment - it will make you feel better - you know it will :)
Jen, I hurt for you and tear up for you. I love what Jen above said about your photos "they really capture how much you've lost and how much you have."
Love you.
You know I would love to say something to make the world better but I never was good at saying things.... so just know I care and I worry about you every day!
Dear Jen, I've been thinking about you and pray for you at random times like in the shower. Just wanted to tell you I love you and we care deeply.
Jen, I think about you every day and wish that there was something, anything I could do to help. Just think of us as living right up the street and ask us, please ask anytime, to babysit for the evening. We love you, we love your family.
Post a Comment