And we celebrated with a picnic in the mountains and a little hiking in a lot of mud. Alas, I forgot the camera, so you'll just have to take my word for it that nothing feels more magical than a family outing in the cool mountain air when you've been single momming it for a month in 90+ degrees.

And as one who has now come to adore her sisters, it is so much fun to see how excited our little people get to see each other.
There's a whole lot of jumping and running and shouted names as they all babble to each other at once, unable to contain all the ideas they've come up with in anticipation of time together. New toys to show off. Funny faces to make. And simple, wild, happy screeches. We love cousins. And grandmas.
And aunts (who have finally stopped walloping innocent little sisters).
And sisters who remember a time when their mom mediated argument after argument with, "One day, you girls will be best friends."
Feeling grateful for family after a month of repeating "If only you lived closer..." again and again and again.
I am one happy lady now that I can finally think about something beyond everything we were not doing at the opening of my favorite time of the year.
And so I return to the blog. Because, while I most certainly was a little worse for the wear by the end of the husbandless six weeks, the little Burts and I were not about to let summer slip by us completely. So we planned a few visits with grandparents and cousins to break up the monotony and pawn off the bedtime toothbrushing (truly, my least favorite part of parenting...besides potty training).
First up: Grandma's house, where the frazzled mommy got to sleep in while my own mama read stories, baked muffins and, yes, brushed the kids' fuzzy morning teeth.

The kids also got to play with their cousin, Cohen, which was great for a certain five-year-old who loves to be in charge.
I was the second child, so I may never know for sure, but ever since my older sister took my brand new My Little Pony with nothing more than a threatening look and talk of pinching, I have been convinced that there is are magic powers granted only to the oldest child. For now, I happy to report that, unlike his Aunt Mandy, Porter has chosen to use powers his for good, patronizing rather than pinching.
There's a whole lot of jumping and running and shouted names as they all babble to each other at once, unable to contain all the ideas they've come up with in anticipation of time together. New toys to show off. Funny faces to make. And simple, wild, happy screeches. We love cousins. And grandmas.
And aunts (who have finally stopped walloping innocent little sisters).
![]() |
| She looks loving now, but trust me, you did not want to cross this one's path from the ages of 9-19. |
And sisters who remember a time when their mom mediated argument after argument with, "One day, you girls will be best friends."
Feeling grateful for family after a month of repeating "If only you lived closer..." again and again and again.








No comments:
Post a Comment