And one week shy of his five-year-old birthday, that sweet little guy from the ultrasound screen followed "Coach Andy" onto the field for his first soccer game.
And I couldn't help but wake up with butterflies Saturday morning at the realization that my little boy is not so little anymore.
And oh, was he excited to join in the big kid fun, wearing a nervous little smile all morning and demanding that everyone in the family wear red "so I will know you're cheering for me and not the other guys."
So excited, in fact, that he doesn't even realize the final score was green dragons: 16, red thunderbolts: 1.
The highlights:
Porter spent a good three quarters of his playing time either flexing his muscles or mimicking whatever his BFF Wes was doing (which was a whole lot of back stretching and air kicking).
At one point, in fact, he and Wesley were so distracted with one another that, while standing at the mid-line for a kick-off, they ignored the whistle and the coaches' directions for a good two minutes while exchanging plans that included, "I am going to kick so hard!" -- "Yeah, me too!" And I am going to run so fast!" -- "Me too!" "And I am going to be so good at soccer!" Needless to say, there was a lot more of this,
and this,
Than this,
And it was fun.








10 comments:
I love your take on the first game, and especially the first paragraph about you and Andy. You got some great pictures! I'm looking forward to getting in on the soccer action soon. I need to see all this muscle flexing and back stretching for myself.
Jenn! I can't believe how big Porter is!! Love it!! :) He will learn!!
Priceless. Those tiny-kid soccer games are the best! I've experienced them with my niece. They can't focus and it makes it so super entertaining. I'm so glad you captured it in photo and verse.
Well, Porter is a sweet little stud and we want to be the first to wish him a happy birthday!
So cute! He is so cute! Love your take on the playtime!
We are joining the ranks of soccer parents in a few weeks and I am sure it will be hilarious for sure!
Enjoy soccer season!
Oh Jen- what a cool day! We are excited to start the next step of team sports, but I am dying to know- does it take over the weekend? Ours have been hectic enough and I've been hesitant to start sports because of it...
That is an awesome image to see Andy coaching Porter!
How fun!! At least he attempted to kick the ball...Ryker wasn't into it so much...he enjoyed running down the field and chatting it up with the coach. lol! So cute!
Great blog Jen! I can't wait until we have a little one to cheer on from the sidelines :)
kind of made me tear up a bit. I'm missing the kiddos.
Love this post Jen. These pictures are absolutely priceless. Your litte guy is SO cute
Oh my goodness! He is so darling! I can't wait until I get to experience the first soccer game for Tate...I just need to promise myself that I will not be the crazy lady on the sidelines yelling obscenities...
Post a Comment