Yes, the Burt blog is back, to the excited cheers of our three fans (my mom, Andy's mom and maybe one of my sisters). And though I would love to say that the lack of posting has something to do with extended vacations spent lollygagging alongside beaches and pools, it doesn't, so I won't. The truth, though much less glamorous, is that we have been busy with absolutely nothing new. Amidst the same ol', we've really just been enjoying our family and friends and home sweet home.
And slowing things down has really helped me see just how much Andy and I have to be grateful for. But with a whole summer's worth of pics to prove it, I'll have to recap the Burt's 2010 summer in a few different posts over the next week or so. Because there is still warm sunshine to be had, because I already hunch over a computer all day, and mostly just because I've no clue how to organize all the randomness into one cohesive post that will mean something to me once I tackle that longstanding-yet-unfulfilled goal of turning all this rambling nonsense into a family keepsake.
So for today, I'll just say that my very favorite moments of summer have come through the two littlest Burts. They are so different.
Where Porter is cautious and particular,
Nora is wild and impulsive.
And though I know some of this has to do with age, again and again, I am taken back at how very different these two little spirits are. And I'm even more surprised at how they have each transformed our family. In the haze of nighttime feedings and potty training, I have a hard time remembering what life before Nora was like.
I know it was much more quiet. Much. But I keep wondering how we ever felt whole without this tiny little minx who loves to dance, run naked, yell and tease (relentlessly).
And I don't think I would really appreciate this wild little gal and all the bruises and tantrums that come with her without having first met her big brother, who is the first to remind you that he needs his bike helmet or that you forgot to say the prayer before dinner. He's still a four-year-old and enjoys his fare share of timeouts, but in between, he is much more consistent. Give the kid a matchbox car or an art project, and he's set.
She likes messes and spinning in circles (which she does every time I try to do her hair).
And he likes coloring and building railways using every piece of track we own (which are then promptly trounced by our baby Godzilla).
He greets her every morning with a kiss and a "Hi little missy" in a squeaky whisper as she yells "Maaa-Maaaaaa! Are you?!" at the top of her lungs.
But in between the clash of wills, these two are just so. darn. cute. together.
And if that weren't enough to melt your heart, try ending your day with a little of this.
Same ol', same ol' is looking pretty good these days.











4 comments:
Cute pictures Jen!! Your kids are so darling... Love the picture of your husband reading to them!!
Love this post! These precious moments you've captured are priceless. Keep them coming!
Hey Jen! I have missed your posts! I do so love the way you write- and you and your family are simply darling. The morning kiss with the "hi Little Missy" is just killing me. What a sweet pair!
I am a fan! super cute! Sorry I missed last weekend. Hope to see you guys soon. I need some Jen time and some good 'ol auntie time also. xoxo
Post a Comment