9.16.2010

Two Months Later

I blinked and it is suddenly mid-September.

Where does time go?

Though I'm pretty sure I've not aged a bit, my little buddy is in preschool.
















And though there is the ever-present guilt of "I'm missing so much while I'm at work," this milestone of dropping our oldest off at school every day for half the day still seems to be something really big. He's making friends that I've never met and learning songs I had all but forgotten about. He's four-and-a-half, which may as well be fourteen-and-a-half if you ask me.
 





























Though feeling slightly blindsided by time's marching, we're all smiles for this little guy. Porter has been aching for school. He watches the school bus outside our playroom window every morning, and for the past two years, whenever you ask him where he learned to do whatever new skill or bit of trivia he's showcasing, he answers, "at school" or "from my teacher."
















So we hugged goodbye and took what feels like the first big kid step. And he was so excited as he eyed the kids and the toys and the class fish with his best pal Wes at his side.

















He's all grown up, just like that.
















And lest you think our life idyllic, our preschool boy had one more trip to the timeout stoop to prove his standing as all boy after calling me a "stupid idiot" last night because I made him take a bath. Pretty sure I've never said that in his presence. And though I kept it together for the first day of preschool, that one nearly brought me to tears. Why do they have to grow up?

4 comments:

Sandi said...

Seriuosly, where did our summer go?! I love the pics of Porter and I laughed so hard about his five legged frog comment!!!

Karen said...

You won't believe all he words they 'learn' in preschool! My grandsons come up with lots of them & I'm astonished that kids know these words so young...I can't believe how BIG he is already. Time surely does fly...my youngest, Derek, is going to serve a mission Oct 20th & we will be empty nesters. Enjoy them while you have them :)

The Funderburks said...

I'm a Porter fan.

Jen said...

I loved this post. I've got my first day of school photos all ready to go, but can't seem to find any inspiration for words to accompany them. You've got a great way with words. I especially love that Porter's been gearing up for this since he was 2. Glad he finally gets to experience school.