3.30.2010

In Like a Lion

Spring is officially here.

Never mind that it's supposed to snow tomorrow and that our Easter trip to the zoo may be canceled thanks to dreary skies, the true measure of the opening spring season -- with all it's lionesque gusto -- comes with the start of the soccer season. And even though they have had to shovel the field more than once since the season began, Cedar City's soccer players are out in full force, and Andy is right there with them, leaving Nora, Porter and I to our own devices day in and day out, which, at the very least, provides for some creative entertainment as I try to squeeze dinner, playtime, clean-up, bathtimes and bedtime all into the 3.5 hours between work and bedtime.

Dancing is at the top of our list when it comes to dinner prep. I can keep an eye on the chaos from my post in the kitchen, and both the kiddos could spend hours bouncing and spinning to the Glee soundtrack that Andy bought me for Christmas but foolishly thought I wouldn't play in his presence. (Hmm, maybe that's why he's abandoned us for the soccer field.)

Nora is our resident DJ, and has learned to push the play, pause and forward buttons -- much to her very particular brother's chagrin.

As for Porter, his new favorite song is the Glee version of "Gold Digger," followed closely by "Can't Fight this Feeling," of which he knows every word.

And tries to recreate on the piano, recorder and tambourine.

After loads of coaxing, idle threats and bribes, dinner passes with one vegetarian daughter (seriously, no matter what kind of meat it is or how it's cooked, Nora refuses to put it in her mouth) and one far too-busy-playing-to-eat son.

And with dinner clean-up comes the mischief of toddler and preschooler left to their own devices.

Dress-up for Nora (the girl ADORES shoes)
And, on this particular evening, Robin Egg face painting for Porter.

Once the dishes are done, I join the natives in their misadventures.

Though dancing altogether is at the top of the list for both of them (yes, I have the worst rhythm in the bunch), Nora has really taken to reading as of late,

And Porter loves anything with scissors and glue, jumping off stairs and couches, and making shadow puppets.
(He was a bear. We Burts are a literal bunch.)

And that, in a nutshell, is the quick explanation for the lack of recent posts. Maybe the sunshine (after yet another weekend storm) will inspire something a bit more consistent. For now, I leave you with the two littles who keep me running, laughing and forever in the laundry room. Husband or not (I should stop complaining, he really is a great dad), who wouldn't love coming home to this?

4 comments:

Maxmomma said...

So darling! Brilliant to use dance parties to free up your arms for cooking dinner. How did they learn to DJ? That is precious.

Thank you for your help on my blog- I love that you are doing a half marathon with a friend! SO impressive! Your children's eyes are SO charming, btw.

Sandi said...

Yes! Whare is spring? Looks like we need to come over to your house for some "spring snow storm fun"! Cute pictures of the kids!

walkerfamily said...

mmm yes, it is a trying time. But, from experience here will be your evening routine 10 years from now. You get home and say Porter, make me some dinner. He whips up some french toast, you gobble it down. Nora, go do the dishes. She does so then you all snuggle on the couch to watch Glee! (PS in this scenario Luke is Porter and Jake is Nora) All things in it's time....

Seth and Sarah said...

Your kids are beautiful and I LOVE Nora's Pebbles pony tail!