3.03.2010

A Happy Heart

This is more so that I'll always remember it than anything else, but a friend of mine told me she prefers my "story posts" to my photo posts, so I thought I'd throw this one up for anyone who needs a little heart warming.

But first, a little background: Thanks to Pandora, I rediscovered Ingrid Michaelson with this song, and it's been stuck in my head ever since. It also holds a completely different meaning to me as a mom than it did when last I encountered the Elvis original.

Which means: Porter and Nora have both endured my craggy-voiced renditions at bedtime for the better part of a week. (It's a good thing they love me. Andy doesn't even get that much trust; I cock an ear to make sure he's down the hall or watching TV before I sing my kiddos into dreamland if it's anything beyond Twinkle, Twinkle Little Star).

But I digress. So last night, as I was putting Porter to bed (and after trying to explain the meaning behind classic nursery rhymes that, in modern times, read like gibberish...why in the world did the old lady in the shoe whip her kids before bed??? Context please!), I snuggled up alongside my first born and asked what song he wanted for the night. Though I normally get a laundry list of every song he can think of in the span of 30 seconds, delaying sleep as long as possible, last night, as he buried himself in mounds of blanket and my arms, he said simply, "The love song."

And I say this a lot lately, but again, my heart melted.

And with Andy still at a soccer game, I sang my craggiest yet and felt so thankful for this time when my little boy still wants snuggles and bedtime stories and off-pitch songs from his mommy.