9.20.2009

What gets me out of bed at 6:30 on a Saturday morning when, ironically, my early-rising kids are still peacefully snoozing? Our very favorite Cedar City tradition: Skyfest.
I don't know if it's the excuse to start my day with liquid chocolate; knowing that on this one morning, I can go out in public with a ponytail and no makeup without feeling like I need to conjure a lie involving early morning workouts at the gym; or, more likely, the magic of a balloon-filled sunrise, but Skyfest eve brings holiday-esque anticipation in the Burt home year after year (excluding Andy; apparently he has hard time channeling his inner child when it's still dark out).

This year did not disappoint, and from the Lions Club pancake breakfast to the thwarted photo attempts, I'd say our early morning venture was a success. The highlights included...

1) No less than 37 photo opps ruined by a last-minute turn of the head (and an ugly orange cone that I somehow failed to notice until now);

2) The only time I will ever be ok with my son shoving an entire syrup-soaked pancake into his mouth with bare posing for photos, it can be hard to see your fork through from stabbing to mouth when you're picnicking in a field of hot air balloons),

and 3) Having a child old enough to articulate all the random thoughts that stem from this once-a-year dreamworld experience. This included naming the balloons as they rose off the ground. Without further ado, meet

the boring balloon (he said it didn't have enough colors)
the circus one (I'm guessing because of the flags)
and, my personal favorite, the bumpy peach.

For the grandparents, this was the best shot I got of Porter. One millisecond before this, he was smiling into the camera, then a balloon launched just behind me.
Nora, who has not yet mastered the art of selective hearing when it comes to parental requests, did a little better (unfortunately, the big orange cone struck again).
In all, a great way to kick off the weekend.

3 comments:

The Funderburks said...

Love the colorful shots. Looks like a fun time.

Maxmomma said...

What a cool tradition! I think the orange cone adds character :). I love the "Bumpy Peach"- so creative.

THE DENVER BURTS said...

Great pics! wow! wish we were there!