11.01.2012

The Sugar Crash

If you are like me, you are going through sugar deprivation after weeks of candy corn and tootsie rolls for breakfast, lunch and dinner. Try this for a little sweet happy instead...


There could not be a more perfect holiday for this little lady who changes her clothes every three hours and goes crazy without a daily sugar fix.

She landed on a vampire costume at the last second after seeing Hotel Transylvania, and giggled every time I called her Mavie-wavy (see the movie, you'll thank me—fun for all ages). Before that, she wanted to be a pink spider, then a bat, then an Ugly Doll, then a bat again, then a ghost.

From the clothes to the sweets to the indecision, she takes after me in every facet of her personality, and we daily alternate between besties and fisticuffs. So I should not have been surprised when last night's sweet little trick-or-treater, who preferred to hold my hand rather than run ahead with friends and was fine heading inside to pass out candy after just one street, conversely screamed at me all morning because I was "choosing everything wrong" (her clothes, her breakfast and a cartoon). That she also snuck a piece of candy from her pumpkin bucket, left the telltale candy lips and sticky finger smears on her shirt, and then immediately replied "Porter told me to eat it!" when I asked what was in her mouth shouldn't have been any more surprising, but it somehow made me an hour late for work. She is not a quick learner when it comes to discipline. (Turns out—to no great surprise—her big brother, who was deep in his Phineas and Ferb joke book and still had minty fresh toothpaste breath, had no idea what she was talking about.) And yet, my heart swells every time I look at this cheesy little grin.

She's a trick, but a treat.

1 comment:

Jen said...

So cute! I love it.