10.09.2012

The Useful & Beautiful

They say necessity is the mother of invention, and now almost a year out from a real life heartbreak, I am in need of a little reinvention. A year out, still with no babies or even baby bumps to speak of, I am beginning to see that a life devoted to new baby wishes may be my ultimate demise. Consider this post the pre-game show, if you will, to a more thoughtful testimony about the much-needed peace gleaned over a very meaningful weekend. The gist: There is much good to fill this life of mine, if I'll let it.

While mulling that over the past few days, I happened upon an idea that gave my musings some direction:

"Have nothing in your house that you do not know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful."

This little gem was delivered in a lecture given to a room full of artists way back in 1880, entitled "The Beauty of Life," and it speaks to my heart in ways I never knew an old British interior designer could. After a year on grief's soapbox, it has finally hit me: Even in this—especially in this—there is beauty and there is life. And, at least for today, that is what I'm gonna fill my  house  heart with.
The ice cream man, not so beautiful, but a traveling van full of treats? Magic.

 



 


 










I know I've sung this tune before, but I think it might just stick this time. In a life full of stops and starts, I'm hoping to fill this week with the useful and the beautiful, and to open the next year with a bit more hope to replace some of the longing.

No comments: